Thursday 3 February 2011

UK High Street Fashion - TV inspired Outfits

Every time I turn on the TV or read the listings (which, if I'm honest, is not very often!) a new retro/vintage style television programme or series seems to jump out at me. The American series Mad Men has almost single handedly brought back late 50's/early 60's fashion. The womanly silhouette has never been more fashionable and luckily for us here in the UK our high street shops have become full of lovely clothes. I'm using the three big ones in this post; New Look, Topshop and River Island to show how you can get the retro TV show look.

Mad Men

I've got to start with this show. It's pretty much the most stylish programme I have ever seen. Christina Hendricks (far right) has become my #1 jealousy fuel. That body is insanely feminine!


A belted in waist, collar details and cute patterns/use of colour are a key look here. This is what I found on the high street...

New Look (apologies for the awful picture quality!!)


This dress has the classic 50s/60's neckline AND the nipped in waist...result!

The Peter Pan collar on this lovely shift dress really gives it an early 60's vibe. Love the colour too.
No retro siren is complete without a good wiggle dress!



River Island

This one almost matched Christina Hendricks' one. And the bow is so cute!
This print is the cutest!
I love this neckline. The bold print is spot on too.
Topshop



This dress would be PERFECT with a nice big underskirt. Pure style.

This dress would be ideal for a summers day.

Capped sleeves - check. Cute collar - check. Flared skirt - check.
I'm going to be hunting for a lot more things on the high street that mimic the styles of our favourite retro TV dames. If you've got any suggestions for TV shows that you think would work then let me know!

3 comments:

  1. I love the retro styles on a girl! Very classy and very sexy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need one of each in my closet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work and wonderful collection..

    http://www.shopjessicabuurman.com/lookbook-street-fashion_c314

    ReplyDelete