Monday 13 December 2010

Any Human Heart - Genius Retro-Style Television!

Over the last two days I've sat and watched all four episodes of 'Any Human Heart' which is an adaptation of a book by William Boyd and has been shown in the UK on Channel 4. It's safe to say that it's blown me away, both in story and in style.
The story is set over the life of Logan Mountstuart, an English writer. His life spans the 20th century and the program is rich in the settings, costume and feel of the 20's, 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's and a tiny bit of the 80's. The 40's and 50's are the prevailing time-zones in this programme though, and the imagery was gorgeous.
The hair, the clothes, the make-up - it was all so inspiring! I loved how the mannerisms of the character changed throughout his life; how wonderful were the 40's when everyone raced to light your cigarette for you?!
I suggest you all go and watch it immediately! I'm not sure if anyone from the USA will be able to view it, although I don't see why they shouldn't be able to. The link to it is here. There are only 8 days left on the first episode, so hurry! It can also be bought here.
If you have seen it, let me know what you thought. Personally, I thought it was one of the most beautiful dramas to ever hit our screens, apart from 'Small Island' which is also a book adaptation (highly recommended!).



3 comments:

  1. Sounds interesting. I'll try to find the show. I'm actually doing a post on my custom Gretsch Guitar (among my other ones) on Monday and I feel like you'd dig it based on your style. Either way, I'm a bit of a 50s lover myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my mind the 50's was by far the best decade. The 40's was a bit scary what with the war adn all that and let's not lie, the 60's completely killed fashion. <3 the 50's!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A bit of a delayed response, only just realised you had a blog! Just wanted to add how much I enjoyed that series, too. It just felt beautifully executed throughout, it gripped me far more than I expected.

    ReplyDelete